Discussion: What happens to the ice when we paint with it? What happens to the water when put in the freezer? How does the ice feel?
Activity words: wet, melting, cold, freezing, very cold, frozen, hard….
Remember to make the activity fun, and encourage the children in their creativity.
Preparations: Each teacher must make her own ice cubes.
- Fill a jug (1 liter) with water and add half a bottle of food colouring or paint. You may want to do more than one colour.
- Fill the ice cube trays and place in the freezer overnight. You may want to add popsicle sticks.
- Place a piece of paper in front of each child and then give them each an ice cube.
- They will see how cold it is to hold and then the excitement of what they can create as the ice-cube melts on their pieces of paper.
- Encourage the children to move the ice cube around their piece of paper, creating patterns and shapes.
- Allow to dry!